Madden NFL ’06 Super Bowl Sweepstakes
Brought-to-you by Pepsi
Only at Boston Pizza
Brent Stafford created and executed this national joint-promotion, leveraging a key relationship with a Boston Pizza supplier and its close ties with the Super Bowl—Pepsi Canada. The promotional platform was designed to attract high-valued intellectual properties and a national retail partner. The goal, for what was Boston Pizza’s first ever national joint-promotion, was to drive a measurable increase in appetizer sales and store visits on NFL game days.
PLAY NATIONAL RADIO SPOT
Boston Pizza is Canada’s largest casual dining restaurant chain. BP had just negotiated an exclusive deal to replace Coca-Cola with Pepsi in all its stores. Pepsi became the official soft drink vendor for over 200 stores across Canada.
Pepsi brought its NFL Super Bowl relationship to the table and Boston Pizza turned to Shaky Egg to build a national promotion strategy that would leverage assets and attract national partners to the program.
We wanted to lock-in key partners that could amplify the promotion and provide a reason-to-believe for consumer entry.
Stafford packaged and pitched the promotion to Electronic Arts and closed a critical partnership deal for EA’s Madden NFL videogame property. Also, EB Games was locked-in as national retail partner. Shaky Egg managed planning and execution from concept to final reporting.
- Drive excitement, store traffic and sales
- Expand BP promotions from traditional food-focused
- Reward existing customers and encourage frequent visits
- Develop promotional partnerships which can be easily executed at store level
- Develop promotional partnerships which deliver measurable added-value
- Leverage BP channel and media assets
To participate, Guests were directed to a specially created NFL/Boston Pizza promotional website where they entered their contact information along with the access code. Each game piece equaled one entry. Entrants vied for thousands of dollars in great prizes including a grand prize trip to the 2007 Super Bowl in Florida! Prizes also included Xbox game consoles from Microsoft and hundreds of Madden NFL’06 video games from EB Games & Electronic Arts. The program also included a bounce-back coupon (on the back of each game piece) good for $5.00 off ANY EA Sports title at EB Games.
Stafford wrote the promotions Rules & Regulations and managed the 3rd party vendor for prize award and fulfillment.
Marketing executions included
- 6ft. standees at all EB Games & Boston Pizza stores
- BP menu inserts and table talkers
- Counter cards at all EB Games
- In house video loop at all EB Games
- 4cl. back page ad in EB Games Magazine
- Local market newspaper and radio ads
- In-theatre ads at Famous Players
- Included all communications and data capture
- EB Games Bounce Back coupons
- Thousands of free prizes provide by partners
Boston Pizza – Business Results
increased sales & customer engagement:
- Near 10% increase in appetizer sales for each of the three month in the promo window
- Sales increase was a direct result of the promotion (with yr.-to-yr. growth trend removed)
- 18,000 online entries
- Near 5% response rate to the on-line contest
- Promotion strategically aligned Boston Pizza with the massive popularity of video games and the NFL
- Shaky Egg secured for Boston Pizza over $100,000 in prizing and earned media exposure
Madden NFL Franchise
Promotion headlined by one of the most important intellectual properties in sport:
- Madden NFL’06. The Madden NFL video game franchise is one of the most popular video games of all time
- Electronic Arts provided the IP critical to executing this promotion
- The Madden NFL provided the “RTB” for consumer entry
Through the EB Games partnership, Boston Pizza reached over 25 million consumers in a targeted lifestyle environment. As the main retail partner, EB Games provided:
- Total # of retail stores 275
- Promotion floor space for standees. In the majority of cases these were placed front of store and at many locations were placed prominently out front in the mall
- Promotion counter card at every store
- In-store loop tape (featuring the Madden promotion with full BP exposure)
- Full page promotion ad in the EB Games catalogue (back cover)
- 7 million $5.00 bounce-back coupon
- 25 million store visits from Nov 1st, 2005 to Feb 5th, 2006
- Provided 10 free consoles for prizing
- Provided an added value to the promotion closing the loop on the consumer offer
- The promotion clearly reinforced for Pepsi, BP’s ability to build savvy promotions that attract partners, prizes and exposure
- The promotion fully leveraged the pass through rights provided by Pepsi to BP as their exclusive soft drink vendor
- Built a solid reputation and position with Pepsi to continuingly leverage future properties and joint-promotions
Share this Page
Registered trademarks of Boston Pizza Royalties Limited Partnership, used under license.© Boston Pizza International Inc. 2005. EA SPORTS and the EA SPORTS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. EBGAMES, EB and ELECTRONICS BOUTIQUE are trademarks or registered trademarks of Elbo, Inc., a subsidiary of Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. The Xbox logo, Xbox “X” logo and Xbox are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. ®PEPSI-COLA, PEPSI and the Globe are registered trademarks of PepsiCo, Inc. The NFL Shield and Super Bowl are registered trademarks of the National Football League, 2005. The PLAYERS INC logo is a registered trademark of the NFL players © 2005 PLAYERS INC. Riddell is a registered trademark of Ridmark Corporation.